Old 04-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Rusty Hinge

Default Laurel Trees

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

When the berries are ripe they are perfectly edible, and are sweetish
and refreshing. Apart from the size of the plants and their fruits, I
can see no difference between black nightshade and 'garden
huckleberries', nor taste any.

IIRC there are two different plants commonly called huckleberry, and one
of them is indeed black nightshade or a variety of it. I grew it once,
but wasn't particularly enamoured of it. There's much nicer berries
around.

Both black nightshade and woody nightshade are Solanum, and isn't
Solanum melongela the aubergine?

Black nightshade is Solanum nigrum and woody nightshade is S. dulcamara.
Aubergines are horrid, nasty, pithy, flavourless things. Black
nightshade beats them by not being pithy.

Tomato is Lycopersicum esculentum, but I've completely forgotten what
the potato is.

It's a starchy tuber you get in greengrocers' shops.

HTH

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to