Old 04-09-2003, 11:45 PM
Kelly Johnson

Default DYI CO2 generator and cloudy aquarium

"S.Holmes" wrote in message ...
Hello all.

I decided to try a DIY CO2 generator (soda bottle, yeast, sugar) in my
aquarium (about 63 gal). I used a valve preventing aquarium water siphoning
into the bottle. What about the other way round? How can I prevent yeast
mixture from getting into aquarium?

Couple of days ago the aquarium became very cloudy. I suspect the contents
of the generator somehow made its way to aquarium, although the level in the
bottle remained unchanged. How can I check if some yeast really got into
aquarium? What are other possible reasons of cloudiness?

TIA

I solved this problem by putting a second bottle in between the CO2
generator and the tank. I used a small glass bottle (snapple bottle),
poked two holes in its lid, placed a piece of tubing into each hole
(one peice of tubing sticking into the bottle about 1" and the other
peice of tubing reaching all the way to the bottom of the snapple
bottle), then silicon sealed the lid onto the bottle. I then connect
my CO2 generator to the peice of tube that runs all the way to the
bottom of the snapple bottle and the tube to the aquarium hooks to the
tube that goes 1" into the snapple bottle. With this setup any "goop"
that comes out of the CO2 reactor will flow into the bottom of the
snapple bottle, while the CO2 will flow through the snapple bottle and
into the tank. Write me an email if you would like a picture of the
setup.

Kelly Johnson