Old 04-09-2003, 11:45 PM
Culturalenigma

Default new thread alan titchmarsh subject

I wrote:
it's
nice to see someone pleasant to look at on the tv. It doesn't really

matter
whether they are or not, but it's nice.

You wrote
I don't agree; imho it's socially exclusive and boring. It's also
insidiously detrimental when TV continually dins in the ghastly message
that "looking nice" is more important than effort, skill or character.

Janet

And me next:

Socially exclusive of whom? Unattractive people? That seems strange. I
would think that attractive could mean anything. I don't believe that the
entertainment industry will EVER give up on the whole image thing. Radio
DJ's are trying to look better these days. We watch tv to be entertained.
Not to be rude or anything - but you go to the library or school to be
educated. There IS no ulterior motive other than learning with schools and
educational halls. With television, there's only the bottom line: Money.
And the truth is, sex sells. Put someone sexy on, you have instant viewers.
Take for example a show called Cowboy U they just played here in the States.
5 attractive 20 somethings on a working ranch learing to herd cattle. Two
cute ranglers and one who looks stereotypically like our Western Cowboy
complete with curled mustache.

Two girls got naked.

The show was a hit.

5 people wrangling cattle.

Attractiveness sells. So What? IF they honestly know their stuff, should
they be automatically tossed aside BECAUSE they are attractive? That sounds
like it's "exclusive" to me.

Trai