Old 05-09-2003, 12:08 AM
JGW

Default Feeding fish: surface vs. deep

I've been feeding my goldfish flake food, and I've trained them to
look for it beneath the surface. I did this to try to orient them
away from the surface, so that they would be better protected from
predators. I put some flake food between my fingers and hold it
beneath the surface so it doesn't float.

Now that they have thrived and reproduced, I have too many goldfish
for my small pond, so I have to take some to a pond store nearby,
where they will probably be sold. Fortunately, they charge enough per
fish there that people won't likely buy them for feeders.

Since I know a lot of folks feed with pellet food that floats on the
surface, I thought I'd better train my fish to look to the surface for
food so they will be prepared for their new home. I've tried to feed
them floating pellet food, but the fish just swim frantically around
looking like their starving until I give them their flake food
underwater.

How can I teach them to eat floating food on the surface so that they
don't starve in their new home?

Joan