Old 05-09-2003, 01:04 AM
Julie Pascal

Default Turtle and fish question

I'm trying to decide if I should release my little painted turtles back
where they were found (the idea was a summer educational experience
for the kids) or take them with us when we move. Because we'd
be going to a different part of the country I would want to be sure
that they couldn't get *out* and potentially make it into the wild
population, either for disease issues or because local subspecies
should probably not be crossed. I do understand they need the
basking and the sunshine which is why I'd rather have them outside
than under lights...even the expensive reptile kind of lights. I would
be sure they had a dry basking area.

Can they co-exist with fish?

--Julie

"K30a" wrote in message

Live stock tanks would not work for a turtle as they need a safe place to

bask
in the sun for hours a day.
We constructed an island in the middle of our pond for turtle basking, we

also
had several sheltered places around the edge of the pond for them to get

out
and bask. They were hidden enough that the two labradors never noticed

them and
the turtles would continue basking every time a gallumping labrador went

on by.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html