Old 05-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Mr Blue Skye

Default Growing tomatoes in the winter?

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Janet & Tim Costidell"
contains these words:

Has anyone done this? My boss wants us (myself and colleague) to grow
tomatoes in the greenhouse for him over the winter. We have good

heating in
there, and sodium lighting. Has anyone attempted this before, if so,

how do
we do it?

/\
Hmmm. Somewhere / \ up there I answered a similar query.
¯||¯
To get good results you have to fool the plants into a belief that it is
summer. The lighting should be daylight bulbs, I don't think sodium
light would be suitable.

'Daylight' hours should slowly be increased until the plants have good
trusses, and then the 'daylight' hours should slowly be reduced.

The ripening of tomatoes is triggered by the shortening days after

midsummer.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to

Sodium lighting works just fine (high pressure sodium)
MBS