Old 05-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Roy

Default How to kill Mistletoe in oak trees?

Folks in the south routinely go out and shoot off some mistletoe
.......using nothing more than a .22.

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:50:33 -0700, Chris J......
wrote:

x-On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 14:46:46 -0500, zxcvbob
x-wrote:
x-
wrote:
x- Ok.. so you are into shooting, so how about packing some paint balls with some kinda
x- goop or chem will smother or kill the mistletoe?
x-
x-
x-You mean like inject the paint balls with Roundup "super concentrate"?
x-
x-I think the paint ball will knock the mistletoe off. But it might be
x-cheaper and safer than shooting a .30-06, if paint ball guns are accurate
x-enough to get the job done.
x-
x-(Seems like a .22 rifle would be a better choice)
x-
x-A .22 is not a better choice. I know because I tried that first. The
x-.22 will knock off an individual mistletoe branch or two, but nothing
x-more. The 30-06 (hollow point) round, put into the branch at the point
x-the mistletoe comes out, often as not blows a chunk out of the branch
x-and takes out the whole mistletoe clump with one shot. Well, it would
x-If I was a better shot, but even so I got most clumps in two shots. It
x-would have taken me forever with the .22.
x-
x-I am very unsure if roundup would be an appropriate choice to use,
x-though. Wouldn't it kill the tree?
x-The only thing I've seen recommended it something called Floral, and
x-only while the tree is dormant.
x-
x-
x-
x-
x-For some ideas on how to help our troops, check out
x-http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,82385,00.html

--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com