Old 05-09-2003, 08:33 AM
Kay Easton

Default new thread alan titchmarsh subject

In article , Culturalenigma
writes

Janet B wrote:

I don't agree; imho it's socially exclusive and boring. It's also
insidiously detrimental when TV continually dins in the ghastly message
that "looking nice" is more important than effort, skill or character.

Socially exclusive of whom? Unattractive people?

Older women for a start.
We have progresses. I remember when it was considered that women did not
have sufficient gravitas to read the news. Now the news is read by young
men, older men, and young women.

That seems strange. I
would think that attractive could mean anything. I don't believe that the
entertainment industry will EVER give up on the whole image thing. Radio
DJ's are trying to look better these days. We watch tv to be entertained.

I can remember when we watched TV to be educated. Strangely, that was
how programmes like Horizon started out.

Not to be rude or anything - but you go to the library or school to be
educated. There IS no ulterior motive other than learning with schools and
educational halls. With television, there's only the bottom line: Money.
And the truth is, sex sells. Put someone sexy on, you have instant viewers.
Take for example a show called Cowboy U they just played

here in the States.

Ah. Yes, TV is different in the States.

5 attractive 20 somethings on a working ranch learing to herd cattle. Two
cute ranglers and one who looks stereotypically like our Western Cowboy
complete with curled mustache.

Attractiveness sells. So What? IF they honestly know their stuff, should
they be automatically tossed aside BECAUSE they are attractive? That sounds
like it's "exclusive" to me.

No one is asking for that. I think what Janet is querying is the
stereotype given by our TV programmes that the only people worth
listening to are those who are attractive. I don't know if it is still
true, but about 10 years ago, every US presidential campaign since about
the beginning of the 20th century had been won by the taller candidate.
Do you really think taller people have more of the characteristics
needed to make a good president?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: