Old 05-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Brian Sandle

Default GM crop farms filled with weeds

Mooshie peas wrote:
On 4 Sep 2003 10:21:52 GMT, Brian Sandle
posted:
You talked about people taking your work if you help them in poor
countries. Reading back through the thread you could take the noiton
that Jim is saying, `Yes, GM and the USA approach is right to be
suppressing poor countries so we can keep our jobs.'

But how is GM suppressing anyone?

Jim seems to agree, though he hasn't specifically said it, that he agrees
with the way GM crops have been designed to produce dependence upon the GM
companies. GM was introduced to USA when the farmers were not having the
best time, and they were offered a better deal from it. That has not
eventuated but the same sales approach is still going on in Australia,
New Zealand, and in third world countries. Under GM farmers cannot save
their seed, a procedure which has been central to third world agriculture.
Their way of life -- livelihoods are threatened. Keeping them poor, Jim
believes, will help to stop them taking my job.