Old 05-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Shell91

Default OT - Hackers? Need Help.

Hi
I am new to this group but I could not let this go without posting some
help. I have been hacked in the past and had someone send me the blaster
worm recently. Some worms and trojans do not have to be opened as in openng
an attachment, some open themselves. Anyway, some good links a

Symantec Security Check (free)
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/h...OABMSTHXOAMEQV

Zone Alarm (free version):
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...sp?lid=pdb_za2

(zone alarm basic is free and running in stealth mode makes your computer
invisible to other computers trying to get into your computer but it does
not affect your internet performance)

House Call (free antivirus check):
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

From what you have said about your computer trying to connect to the net as
soon as you turn it on you probably have a trojan or a worm. Best thing to
do is use one of the free antivirus scans, which should tell you if you have
anything and how to get rid of it. Once you are sure your computer is not
infected with anything start running a firewall like zone alarm (I have been
running this for several years with no problems) Also running an antivirus
scan regularly and making sure it is up to date is essential. There are
lots of other things that can be done to secure a computer, like encrypting
email and such but they're mostly for professional computer people.

Shell

"Alison" wrote in message
om...
(Foo Finder) wrote in message

. com...

Trojans are spying tools that people use to get info out of your PC.
It sends things to people while you're on line. Some of them would
even dial out.

Could someone please tell me how to eliminate a trojan or find out if
you have one? My computer decided to start trying to connect itself
to the internet when I turn it on, & I was told I might have got a
trojan -- but not sure how? I don't open mail from people I don't
know.

Ann has asked me to add some helpful anti hacker links to Oddhobby, I
will do so as soon as I get some time. Until then, you're looking for
programs that eliminate commerical spyware for starters.

Where would I find one & is this the same as the firewall you
mentioned?

There is a free firewall called Zone Alarm. It's not that hard to
use. But if you set it up wrong some (internet) things will stop
working. Everyone who posts to usenet should use a firewall, it's
very important.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Alison