Old 05-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Gail Futoran

Default Turtle and fish question

"Julie Pascal" wrote in message
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask Will

livestock
water tanks work for fish or turtles, or are the materials
they are made of potentially toxic? I would think that
that livestock water tanks would be made out of innert
material but I wouldn't want to assume that. I do know
that fish are far more sensitive than, say, a cow would
be.

Thanks much for any help.

--Julie

I don't have turtles, just fish (goldfish & minnows). I
started with a metal stock tank but even after several years
the water gets a film on it, and I read somewhere that's
from the tank itself. I dunno if it's true, but I switched
to poly stock tanks and they work great. I have one Toter
110 gallon tank and a Rubbermaid 150 gallon tank. I prefer
the Rubbermaid for its flat bottom. The Toter bottom is
ridged and it can be hard to balance plant pots & letter
crates (for fish security). A lot of people use stock tanks
as ponds.

Here's a nice site to visit, lots of good information:
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/pond.htm

Gail