Old 05-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Andyd

Default augustine vs bermuda

I am one who curses Bermuda. Be very careful with Bermuda, it is
highly invasive and nearly impossible to get rid of. I had an area
that the previous owners of our house had in Bermuda and I worked over
and put down a very nice dwarf Buffalo grass (sod). Even though we
supposedly nuked the Bermuda (stripped the dirt, much of the area was
even topped by as much as a few feet of fill and dirt), it came back
and now has pretty much snuffed out all of the Buffalo. I even
stopped watering the area completely after the Buffalo was
established, a recommendation I got from this group, which supposedly
would hammer the Bermuda but not the Buffalo. But the Bermuda is
doing fine even with 2+ years of zero watering. The Buffalo is not
doing fine due to the Bermuda. I never had to mow the dwarf Buffalo,
now I have to mow much of this area again. Bah humbug.

Bermuda also aggressively invades flowerbeds, gravel walkways, etc.
When you start pulling it you realize why it is such a problem, it is
very hard to get all of the plant out. Aggressive weeding has kept it
at bay in most of my favorite flowerbed areas, but other areas I have
just given up on.

andyd

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 02:37:40 GMT, "JanTGH" wrote:

Some will curse Bermuda as evil. I don't see it that way. I actually prefer
Bermuda in the sunny areas - provides a better lawn. Bermuda will not thrive
in the shade, but it will creep there a little.

"AndyPaul" wrote in message
my backyard is basically divided between augstine and bermuda grass.

mostly in
the shade side of the house and under a big tree the augustine as camped

out
the bermunda has the rest. personally i don't have a perferance between

the
two, just wondering if either will win, or which to cheer for, and which

should
i encourage, or leave both. just curious.