Old 05-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Gideon Singer

Default OT - Hackers? Need Help.

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:31:46 GMT, "Shell91"
wrote:

Hi
I am new to this group but I could not let this go without posting some
help. I have been hacked in the past and had someone send me the blaster
worm recently. Some worms and trojans do not have to be opened as in openng
an attachment, some open themselves. Anyway, some good links a

Symantec Security Check (free)
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/h...OABMSTHXOAMEQV

Zone Alarm (free version):
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...sp?lid=pdb_za2

(zone alarm basic is free and running in stealth mode makes your computer
invisible to other computers trying to get into your computer but it does
not affect your internet performance)

House Call (free antivirus check):
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

From what you have said about your computer trying to connect to the net as
soon as you turn it on you probably have a trojan or a worm. Best thing to
do is use one of the free antivirus scans, which should tell you if you have
anything and how to get rid of it. Once you are sure your computer is not
infected with anything start running a firewall like zone alarm (I have been
running this for several years with no problems) Also running an antivirus
scan regularly and making sure it is up to date is essential. There are
lots of other things that can be done to secure a computer, like encrypting
email and such but they're mostly for professional computer people.

Shell

Another good thing to run is a firewall. This is usually part of any
antivirus package such as Norton or Zone Alarm. REMEMBER that your
protection is only as good as your updates!! If you don't update the
signatures and other detection criteria then you may as well not have
any protection at all. On my home computer I have both a firewall and
an antivirus protection suite running all the time with auto updates
enabled.