Old 05-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Henry Kuska

Default Roundup Unready

billo, said: " My bad. I was commenting on the *other* article you posted
the abstract for -- the Minnesota one, not the Ontario one.

H. Kuska reply: I wondered last night if you were mixing the 2 articles, but
this morning when I replied, I forgot about that doubt.

REVISED REPLY to Billo's Minnesota comments.

billo, thank you for your reply as to why you reject my claim that the paper

that I presented does meet your stated criteria of: "You can prove me wrong

by providing a scientific article in a peer reviewed journal that claims to

show that Roundup is dangerous to humans when used as directed."

Note, this reply is for: "Title: Birth defects, season of conception, and
sex of

children born to pesticide applicators living in the Red River Valley of

Minnesota, USA." (published in 2002). A key sentence in this abstract is:

"Use of the herbicide glyphosate yielded an OR of 3.6 (CI, 1.3-9.6) in the
neurobehavioral category."

H. Kuska reply: I would of preferred that you use my suggested logic

diagrams in your reply as that formal approach would of allowed a much more

precise discussion, but I will go along with your choice of style.

To make the discussion easier to follow for the thread readers, I will now

divide your criteria into sections. They a You can prove me wrong by

providing a 1) scientific article in a peer reviewed journal that 2) claims

to show that Roundup is dangerous to humans 3) when used as directed."

Section 1. -"scientific article in a peer reviewed journal".

The thread readers can decide whether I have met this criteria by going to

the National Institute of Health link http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/ which

states:

"Welcome to ehponline, the website of Environmental Health Perspectives

(EHP), a peer-reviewed journal dedicated to the discussion of the effect of

the environment on human health. EHP comprises 17 issues annually with

monthly sections devoted to children's health and environmental medicine, a

toxicogenomics research section published with toxicogenomics news in

separate quarterly issues, and an annual review issue. We also publish a

quarterly Chinese-Language Edition and occasional special issues.

Publications of the National Toxicology Program including the Report on

Carcinogens are also available on ehponline."

Section 2. - "claims to show that Roundup is dangerous to humans".

A little background may be required here. If one is bit by a West Nile virus

carrying mosquito, there is a certain increased risk that one could die over

the background average risk of death during the same time period for all

people living at that moment. ( i.e. science cannot tell the person bitten

with 100% certainty that he will or will not die.) We can describe some

events in nature by the terms yes or no; other events are too complex for

mortal man so we have developed the use of "odds ratio" (OR) and "confidence

interval" CI. Is this the best way to describe complex science, possibly

not; but this the accepted way at present. Since billo stated he wants

information in a peer reviewed journal, he should be willing to accept the

standard form of presenting that information. If a reader of this thread is

not familiar with the above terms, please go to

http://www.cmh.edu/stats/definitions/or.htm for an explanation.

The pertinent part of the Minnesota abstract that H. Kuska presented is:
""Use of the herbicide glyphosate yielded an OR of 3.6 (CI, 1.3-9.6) in the
neurobehavioral category."

(they use glyphosate rather than Round-Up, I, H. Kuska assume that this is
because glyphosate herbicides have a number of different brand names). Billo
points out that in the manuscript the following appears ""Finally, of the 14
pesticides identified by class (Table 5), only phosphine and glyphosphate
showed a significant correlation with excess adverse birth and
neurodevelopmental effects. Whether these observations were chance
associations remains a concern. Further detailed neurodevelopmental studies
are required to resolve these issues."

Returning to H. Kuska comments: Note that the descriptor used is
"significant", for the readers of this thread - the wording in a peer
reviewed scientific publication has to be approved by the authors, editor,
and reviewers.

The meanings of "significant" are (
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=significant ):

"1. Having or expressing a meaning; meaningful.

2. Having or expressing a covert meaning; suggestive: a significant glance.

See Synonyms at expressive.

3. Having or likely to have a major effect; important: a significant change

in the tax laws.

4. Fairly large in amount or quantity: significant casualties; no

significant opposition.

5. Statistics. Of or relating to observations or occurrences that are too

closely correlated to be attributed to chance and therefore indicate a

systematic relationship."

Returning to H. Kuska comments: the paper then states: "Whether these

observations were chance associations remains a concern. Further detailed

neurodevelopmental studies are required to resolve these issues." This

statement is an example of "good science". In a recent review paper (

http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/rose%20...d%20pollen.htm ) I stated

something similar: "As is typical of scientific caution (or at least should

be), he points out that finding the virus in the seedlings is not a

definitive proof of transmission through the rose seed."

Back to the paper under discussion, science has limitations, scientists

cannot examine an infinite number of data points or possible correlations.

Those not examined are what collectively is listed as "chance" (if there

actually is order to nature). You can also see this in the use of a 95%

Confidence Interval - a 100% confidence limit is beyond our current ability.

What trained scientists do is test for correlations that they feel may be

potential contributors. I will here use an example that I used to use in my

courses: if someone felt that the actual correlation with an observed

phenomena was the age of the grandmothers of the people being studied, that

information could be put into the computer program. If the correlation

coefficient came out near zero, the research group knows that the age of the

grandmothers was not a contributor. This is a powerful method but it is

always possible that a contributing factor was missed. The editor and

reviewers can require that the authors look at additional possible

contributors if they feel the paper is deficient. This paper as it was

published was approved.

If billo wants to limit his criteria in his future posts to papers that

claim 100% certainty he can do so. I feel that such a restriction makes his

quest meaningless.

NEXT SECTION

Billo's statement: "But Henry, what is that odds ratio compared to -- what

is the referent population? The referent is to compare the pesticide

applicators against those who apply herbicides only.

Oops.

In other words, the article states that pesticide applicators who apply

glyphosate in addition to all the other stuff they apply have an increased

odds ratio compared to using herbicides (such as glyphosate) alone. That's

why, by the way, the article is about *pesticide" applicators and not

*herbicide* applicators."

H. Kuska reply: ?????? You are citing the correct paper but the wrong
information. The quote you give is for the data in Tables 5 and 6. Please
note that in the footnotes below Table 6, they mention further analysis in
the text for phosphine. When you go to this text information (page 445) you
will find that they do do a separate analysis for phosphine and then
continue with a separate analysis for Round-Up type herbicides. The exact
quote is:

"Similarly, use of the phosphonamino herbicides (glyphosate, Round-Up) was
overrepresented in the adverse birth and developmental effect group.
Forty-three percent of the children (6 of 14) who had parent-reported
ADD/ADHD used phosophonamino herbicides (OR = 3.6; CI, 1.3-9.65). No other
commonly used pesticide compared by major organ and/or functional system was
uniquely associated with adverse birth or develomental effects."

The editor and the reviewers accepted this paragraph. They are considered
experts in the field. If someone feels that there is something critically
incorrect about what they have accepted, he/she can submit their viewpoint
to be considered for publication. The stated criteria was a reviewed paper,
this is a reviewed paper.

Section 3) - "when used as directed."

H. Kuska comment: I provided you with links to the labels and a MSDS. There

is no warning about not using if the applicator or the spouse is pregnant.

Your comment: "It is not surprising that people who have an occupational

exposure to a soup of various chemicals will have an increased odds ratio of

one thing or another. Occupational exposure is almost always higher than

general use, and should not be confused with the exposure that general users

get. The classical example, of course, was squamous cell carcinoma of the

scrotum in chimney sweeps due to exposure to soot. That does not meant that

every male who has a fire in a fireplace need worry about his balls falling

off. That distinction is extraordinarily difficult for hysterics, but it is

real."

H. Kuska reply: your criteria did not exclude applicators and their

families. This is the main group that uses a herbicide! In the future, if

you want to revise your criteria to some meaningless sub group of the human

race that is your privilege.

H. Kuska summary: I submit to the readers of this thread that billo's

criteria have been met. It is your individual decision to evaluate his and

my points. I am willing to answer any questions if there is something that

you feel needs clarification.

Thank you for your patience in reading this.

Henry Kuska

--
Henry Kuska, retired

http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/