Old 05-09-2003, 06:12 PM
JNJ

Default Are the big gardening magazines worth the money?

Thank God! Most of the "gardening" shows on HGTV send in a crew that
slaps
together a very crude garden that has little appeal to me and one that I
can't image lasting more than a couple of weeks. The "Landscaper's
Challenge" show is interesting, but I agree that they only do projects in
southern California and the budgets are enormous - not a situations that
most of us can relate to or learn from.

:-) Exactly! I've been so frustrated with that show. Sigh I was
disappointed in the production company's response about using plants and
techniques with a wider appeal but what can one expect -- it IS the left
coast after all. Grin

I like Gardening by the Yard -- Paul James hits all climates and he's out in
Oklahoma (Zone 6 or 7, I think 7) so it's much more realistic plus he
actually does remotes and his garden/landscape is obviously successful.
I can't stand the DIY channel's gardening show -- their host is too
annoying. Landscape Solutions is ok, although I don't care for the host,
but they suffer the same issues as Landscaper's Challenge -- little cross
applicability. Fix It Up has the occasional garden/landscape related show
but they're more home improvement in general as one would expect.

For the main part, when I watch the Landscape X shows it's just to pick up a
tip or two on fixing a sore spot.

James