Old 06-09-2003, 05:32 AM
Roger Ramjet

Default Top Dressing - How?

1) Learn Spanish
2) Early one morning, go down to the local gathering place where illegal
migrant workers gather
waiting for jobs from local Landscape Companies. In my town that is the
local communter RR
parking lot. I also see them at Taco Bell.
3) Hire 2 of them for about 8/hr.
4) Have some leaf mold or other compost dilivered to your home.
5) Provide 2 shovesl and at least 1 wheel barrel for Juan and Julio.
and 2 rakes.
6) Demonstrate the technique, which is fill the WB, position it to the
section of lawn, fill a shovel with compost drag your hand across the top of
the shovel spreading (broadcasting) the compost.
7) Have them rake in any excess compost, you only need about a 1/4 inch. I
would core areate
beforehand to really benefint from the top dress.

"Berob" wrote in message
m...
I hear people all the time talk about top dressing a lawn, but I don't
recall hearing how to do it. When you have a relatively large lawn area
(1/2 acre or so), what's the best and most efficient way to top dress with
some kind of organic compost? Can I use a spreader, do I need to use a
shovel, or is their some other method?