Old 06-09-2003, 06:34 AM
Culturalenigma

Default new thread alan titchmarsh subject

(snip)

You might, but you live in the land of trash TV and don't speak for
me. I prefer to be interested and stimulated.

I live in the land of trash tv???????? ooook. I think I was speaking of
BBC - is this trash tv? Am I missing something? I wasn't talking about
Mtv? Are we on the same page? Can you not be entertained, interested, and
stimulated at the same time? I just watched a lovely show about lightening.
Very educational but the truth is, I watched it to be ENTERTAINED. If I
wanted to stimulate my brain I would read a book or do a puzzle.

Not to be rude or anything - but you go to the library or school to be
educated.

You're mistaken there. Not to be rude or anything, but don't you know
that libraries include a vast range of literature, poetry and culture
which is entertaining and exciting?

Grrr.. OK. Breath Tracie. Ok. Who, may I ask, said that being educated
ISN'T and SHOULDN'T be entertaining and exciting????? I was just pointing
out that the main point behind a library or school is to educate. Whether
that education is in poetry, or reading "My Sister Carrie" or checking out a
DIY book, it's still education. Children learn from reading fiction. They
can "experience" things they would never in their life ever have a chance
to.

There IS no ulterior motive other than learning with schools and

educational halls.

No? What about social, physical and intellectual experiment and

development?

Is that not "learning" in bigger words??????

With television, there's only the bottom line: Money. And the truth is,

sex sells.

Prostitutes and pornographers certainly think so; but many people
don't find that kind of sex (or television) either stimulating or
satisfying.

Well, yes. I can agree here. I'm just saying that whether or not we agree,
that's what producers these days think.

In other words, you agree with me that a presenters career should not
depend upon their looks.

Janet.

YES. And they should not be discounted as trivial, stupid, vapid, or
anythign else if they happen to be attractive. That was my whole point. I"m
all for tossing out "looks" as a requirement or a deterrent.

Trai