Old 06-09-2003, 07:42 AM
Mich

Default new thread alan titchmarsh subject

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Culturalenigma" contains these words:

Lost sight of whose saying what! But, whoever said:

I'm only interested in how well presenters know their topic and how
clearly they can communicate to viewers and to anyone else in the
studio. When TV was new, and presenters were mostly drawn from radio,
they were not selected for their looks.

I would agree with this because in media communication is *very* important!

I not only do I get fed up with botox injected and liposuctioned female on
TV, and the emphasis on young presenters , I am also fed up with the very
thick accents and lisps these people have.

I am not against accents. I have one myself, but some of these speech
impediments and accents are so strong they detract from the presenters
ability ot communicate!
Dairmud gavin for example - I cannt understand what he says!
Joe Swift , Beardshaw and others have varying degrees of lisp! Again I find
myself so concentrated on the way they are saying things , trying to
decipher them, I cant hear what they actually say.

And Any and Dec , although not gardeners, come into this category.

AT had an accent, but you can listen and *hear* him because his accent was
not intrusive.
Monty Don is similar.