Old 06-09-2003, 08:13 AM
The Devil's Advocate

Default Tomato Blight & Potatoes

Colin Malsingh wrote:
: I am growing some Autumn potatoes (Carlingford & Charlotte) and they
: are just starting to sprout above ground level.
:
: However, I have planted them right next to some tomatoes which haven't
: finished cropping yet, but are starting to show quite a bit of Tomato
: blight.
:
: Is it likely that this could be transmitted to the Potatoes, or is it
: a different variety that they suffer from?
:
: If it's the same, have I left it too late already (since the tomato
: blight spores must already be around) or should I dig up the tomatoes
: now to give my spuds the best chance of not catching blight
: themselves?
:
: Colin
: -----
: (Sorry - no direct email. Please reply via the newsgroup)

It is the same disease but I disagree with Mike about not growing there for
four years. Blight depends mainly on the weather not on the diseases in the
ground unlike say, cabbage club root, and I WOULD move the crops around but
4 years is a bit excessive. You can still get blight if there have never
been potatoes or the like on the ground anyway

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk