Old 06-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Mike Lyle

Default storing chillis

"mart" wrote in message ...
hi all

my chilli pepper plant has done rather well and produced more than chillis
than we can comfortably eat straight away . what is the best way to store
these chillis for later use in the cold winter/autumn to come ?

The classic method is to dry them, but I just freeze them. No
blanching, just straight in. I like to keep half of them green. I
sometimes also pickle a jarful in vinegar: one makes a nice little
relish on the side of your plate, especially when you have to cook a
dish milder than you normally do.

A nice traditional condiment which makes a good Christmas present is
pepper wine. Put as many green chillies as you like -- say 10 -- in a
half-bottle, and top up with medium dry sherry. Supermarket's own
brand cheapest sherry is fine for this. Much smarter than Tabasco.
Keeps for years if not used up. Make a pretty label, by hand or
computer, if you're giving it away.

A blast of this pepper wine in a cup of hot Bovril works wonders when
you come in out the garden on a raw day.

Mike.