Old 06-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Alison

Default Tomato Blight & Potatoes

"Colin Malsingh" wrote in message
I am growing some Autumn potatoes (Carlingford & Charlotte) and they
are just starting to sprout above ground level.

However, I have planted them right next to some tomatoes which haven't
finished cropping yet, but are starting to show quite a bit of Tomato
blight.

Is it likely that this could be transmitted to the Potatoes, or is it
a different variety that they suffer from?

If it's the same, have I left it too late already (since the tomato
blight spores must already be around) or should I dig up the tomatoes
now to give my spuds the best chance of not catching blight
themselves?

Colin
-----
(Sorry - no direct email. Please reply via the newsgroup)

We live in a very arable farming area and last year was atrocious for blight
but this year there has been none. The blight spores need warm but humid
conditions - I think it's above 65% humidity on 3 consequetive days with min
temp of 17C. OK, the temp requirement has been met but here at least the
humidity level hasn't been anywhere near that for 3 days. It might be worth
recalling if your conditions have met the criteria as it may not be blight.
Normally potatoes will go down with it quicker than tomatoes, so I'm led to
believe.

I too beg to differ on the 'not grow there for four years'. The spores are
air-bourne mostly so avoiding that piece of land will not go very far
towards protecting your crop.

Charlottes are supposed to be quite blight tolerant (don't know about your
other variety). If it was me, I'd leave your spuds in place and watch the
foliage for any signs. If you do see signs, chop off the haulms and burn
them but the tubers should still be ok. I think there's advice that
pregnant women shouldn't eat potatoes from blighted plants as a precaution.

HTH
--Alison