Old 06-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Mickey

Default wintering link to zones with names

You can contact people such a local builder and find out what you frost line
is. I live in Minnesota 45 minutes west of Minneapolis/St.Paul my depth just
to get under the frost line is 48". I would assume you would want to go
deeper for warmer bottom water.
"Kodiak" wrote in message
Would it be unreasonable to have a pond in Zone 4a or 4b
and expect fish to survive in winter? I live in Montreal Canada,
my feeling is I need a pond at least 4ft deep. Is there info or a table

that
suggests what depth your pond should be depending on the zone your in?
...Kodiak

"Mickey" wrote in message
If you are talking Canada you are closer to a zone 2. Zone 5 is going
through the center of the USA. Here is a link with a few names for

reference

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hrdzon3.html

"Axolotl" wrote in message
. 130...
ESPMER (K30a) wrote in
:

Scott wrote Should I disconnect my filter for the winter, or keep

it
running?
I was
planning to keep it, until I read the statement above.

You'll find a lot of people do different things ;-)

The bio bugs won't be 'working' in cold water and the fish won't be
producing much, if any, waste so there is no need to filter a winter
pond. Everybody kind of goes into a stupor for the winter.

Keeping water running, as in a waterfall or fountain, can sometimes

be
dicey. If things start to freeze sometimes the water can freeze in
such a way as to direct water away from the pond. More so in a
waterfall than a fountain.

Another theory to keep the pump off is that the water movement from
the pump to the fountain or waterfall, there and back again, is

making
a current for the fish to swim against when they'd rather just lay
there, slowly finning their fins. Water movement makes them work
harder and use up energy they'd rather put to keeping some weight on
them over the winter.

But, all that said, there are rec.ponders who keep their pump

running
and their waterfall going all winter. And all goes well, no

problems.

Hi there, nice to see you back K30a.

I am not sure what zone I am in, Colour coded maps are not much use to
somebody whose colour blind. I am in Mississauga, just west of

Toronto,
so I think I am in zone 5 (5a). In the past I have disconnected from

the
waterfalls and redirected the flow to a standpipe over the pond, this
keeps an opening in the ice, adds oxygen and provides the local

wildlife
a source of water in the winter.
However, I wonder if this is the best approach, I keep seeing people
recommending a bubbler, I tried this one winter but the air pump died
within 2 weeks. What depth should the air-stone be set to?

TIA
AXO