Old 06-09-2003, 04:32 PM
sw

Default OT - Bats and Buildings

Alison o.uk wrote:

"Malcolm Ogilvie" wrote in message
Depending where you live, contact the relevant country conservation
agency.

England - English Nature
Scotland - Scottish Natural Heritage
Wales - Countryside Council for Wales

All will be in your local phone book.

Explain the situation to them and let them take care of it. And you can
ask them not to mention your name.

Yes I have the number for the Bat Protection folk cos we had to save some
baby bats a couple of years back. Trouble is, it was the farm foreman that
told me about it and I muted my concern (wish I'd kept quiet now) so they'll
know it was me if 'Batman' arrives on their doorstep :-(

Explain the situation to the person you talk to at English Nature.
They're not stupid -- perhaps they could arrange an impromptu bat survey
that doesn't involve any need to say that someone told them. Perhaps
local bat detectorists (there are such things) have been wondering where
the bats that they've detected are living.

Suitable roosts for bats are hard to find; declining roost availability
is one of the reasons that some spp are in decline. They can't just
'find somewhere else' -- some spp have very specific requirements.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.