Old 06-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Dave Bell

Default Walnut Leaves Discoloration

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, george kimes wrote:

My very small pond is located under some large walnut trees and the
leaves that fall cause the water to be very dark. Other than covering
the pond with netting, does anyone have some other suggestion?

My large pond is unfortunately placed, close to a huge, old black walnut,
and I very much feel your pain! I not only contend with the leaves, but at
this time of year, the neghborhood squirrels have the entire yard carpeted
in chewed husks and jagged broken shells... For a small pond, I would go
with a net cover, if at all possible. If it is truly small, how about a
temporary shade cloth covered "gazebo"? One of the garden or camping
shelters made of PVC pipe with a fitted screen cover would keep it very
clean, and could come down once most of the leaves are fallen...

Dave