Old 06-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Mike Lyle

Default new thread alan titchmarsh subject

(BridgeP) wrote in message ...
[...]
I think the truth is that many people think they are demonstrating some sort of
superiority by rubbishing the latest range of presenters. The fact is, you
can't please everybody, and most people like them. You will always get most
comment from those who do not like something.

Well, who wants to read a newsgroup where every post says "You are so
right"? You're disagreeing yourself, after all.

[...]
I am mainly a lurker on this NG. However, I have noticed that there are always
more posting about topics with only a vague relationship with gardening. Many
of these posts are to complain that there is not enough gardening!! This topic
started of by an innocent post from somebody who was starting an AT fan club,
an look at the furore it has generated. Don't ell me about those wonderful,
caring, understanding gardening folk.

What's the problem with discussion? that's what I come here for. This
isn't a mutual support group for the insecure who need to be told
positive things all the time!

AT and all the others should take solace in the saying that goes something like
'disgree, criticise, etc but what you do, don't ignore me!'. Or perhaps 'all
publicity is good publicity'.

Well, yes. And I doubt very much if AT gives a flying one. But in this
thread I haven't noticed many messages which didn't give reasons for
what the posters thought. And in fairness, the discussion has *not*
been irrelevant to gardening: are we content to have the public
informed about gardening by people whose prime qualification may not
be their gardening experience? Do we want programmes that tell us
something we didn't know already? I think that's perfectly relevant.
You also seem a bit unfair in suggesting that most urg discussions
aren't about gardening: I reckon people here stick to the point pretty
well.

Mike.