Old 06-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Franz Heymann

Default acer palmatum in strawberry planter?

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
I have an Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki' in a pot which I bought last year
but can't seem to find a good place for. I also have a spare 1m tall
strawberry planter.
It occurs to me that the acer would look good situated 1m above ground
in said planter. Would this work if I fill the planter with JI / garden
soil or would the roots quickly be too constricted?

I have had an Acer palmatum dissectum atropurpureum in a pot approximately
18" high and 18" diameter for something like ten years. It flourished until
this year, when it is beginning to show what I think are signs of being pot
bound. I water it reasonably regularly and feed it sporadically with
Miracle Gro.

I have a feeling that your strawberry planter might be a little on the
narrow side. What is its diameter?

Franz