Old 06-09-2003, 11:14 PM
bnd777

Default acer palmatum in strawberry planter?

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"bnd777" wrote in message

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
I have an Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki' in a pot which I bought last year
but can't seem to find a good place for. I also have a spare 1m tall
strawberry planter.
It occurs to me that the acer would look good situated 1m above ground
in said planter. Would this work if I fill the planter with JI /

garden
soil or would the roots quickly be too constricted?

--
dave @ stejonda

Depends how big the strawberry planter is
Also be very careful to cover soil tightly with planting membrane plus
gravel to stop Vine weevil getting in cos they love Acers

What would be the signs of a wine weevil infestation?
I have just written a note in which I said I thought my Acer was becoming
pot bound, but you have set me wondering.

Franz

You will have to take it out of its pot and look for signs of small white

grubs with tan/beige heads ........if affected then pick out every one
..........and shake off the compost
Replant in new compost and wet thporoughly with solution of armillotox then
cover soil with planting membrane and gravel ........be sure to put membrane
over drainage holes at base too as if the pot is slightly off the ground the
adult beetles crawl in the bottom too
Also run a line of vaseline around the top edge of pots they cant crawl over
it