Old 07-09-2003, 12:44 AM
joe

Default Turtle and fish question

Jerri,

I did answer, but not under this subject line. It was under: Turtle
Question. Here it is again:

Joe

Jerrispond wrote:

I saw a wonderful female red eared slider at the petshop. The question
was....will they winter over in a zone 7 pond. the answer was ...I don't

know

I don't know the answer to that either. I believe they will hibernate in the
bottom if it doesn't freeze, but I'll try to find that our for sure.

, but it will run away the first day.....

I have heard from others that they may do so. Mine has stayed put for 8
months. Is the yard fenced?

They should be kept in an aquarium in the house.....

That is a lot of work. You have to do a large amount of water changes - they
poop large quantities.

I thought maybe a male would but not a
female...how about if I bought a pair?

Ours is a male and nearly killed the (much) smaller buddy we bought for him.
He is now alone and seems pretty pleased about it. If you get two, make sure
they are about the same size.

would they need supplamental food if
there is plenty of small fish and plants?

Yes, they need to be fed, but seem pretty happy with Koi pellets. There is
also turtle pellets which I seem to remember as having less protein. I have
come to the conclusion that the only fish a RES will catch is one that is
already dead. I have a couple of Oscars in my pond for mosquito fish
control. They stay put right in front of him at feeding time and he just
stares helplessly. Maybe mine is just a wimp.

How would they do with koi....

Fine

thought they might eat those pesky minnows.

Couldn't catch one on his best day.

Oh I also have a huge channel
cat in there. the turtles shell was about as big as my hand when I open it
as wide as it will go. with my luck it will only eat the baby koi and not
the minnows....thats ok about the koi I had a bumper crop this year Darn....I
really wanted one or two of those turtles...but not if they run away Jerri

Yeah, the run away part is a biggie. As I said, ours seems to stay put, but
I wouldn't want to be the one to guarantee that. On the other hand, he is
very interesting, and with enough contact with you, pretty tame.

Joe

Jerrispond wrote:

what kind of turtles do you have...can anyone answer my questionsI posted?
Jerri