Old 07-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Mike Lyle

Default acer palmatum in strawberry planter?

"bnd777" wrote in message ...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

[...]
I have had an Acer palmatum dissectum atropurpureum in a pot approximately
18" high and 18" diameter for something like ten years. It flourished

until
this year, when it is beginning to show what I think are signs of being

pot
bound. I water it reasonably regularly and feed it sporadically with
Miracle Gro.

I have a feeling that your strawberry planter might be a little on the
narrow side. What is its diameter?

Franz

Franz .........Acers are suffering this year in the heat and they like rich
compost the odd dose of miracle grow will only help for just so long

Yes: if it isn't vine weevil, it's probably time to change the growing
medium anyhow. I'd say fresh JI, or garden soil mixed with a bit of
compost.

For orange trees grown in Versailles boxes, I believe the potting soil
is changed every year. Think I read it in an RHS book.

Mike.