Old 07-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Franz Heymann

Default acer palmatum in strawberry planter?

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , bnd777
writes
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , bnd777
writes
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
I have an Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki' in a pot which I bought last

year
but can't seem to find a good place for. I also have a spare 1m tall
strawberry planter.
It occurs to me that the acer would look good situated 1m above

ground
in said planter. Would this work if I fill the planter with JI /

garden
soil or would the roots quickly be too constricted?

Depends how big the strawberry planter is

standard one that you see around - 1m high, 2ft across?, about 20 slots
for strawberry plants

No such thing as "standard " ........if theres 20 slots for Strawberries
then theres 20 holes for Vine weevils to get in

The size is otherwise fine ......mine are in pots half that size

Thanks to you, Martin & Franz.

The place I have in mind for the planter is fairly sheltered so
hopefully stability won't be a problem. I've got a roll of terram fabric
to block the holes with.

Actually there is an additional bonus point associated with the fact that
your planter is sheltered against wind: The one thing these acers detest is
a persistent spring wind.
My friendly nurseryman once refused to sell me an acer when he heard that
the proposed site was somewhat windy. He relented when I relocated the
proposed position. I have not regretted it, because mine thrived much
better than that of my neighbour, whose tree is in a more wind-prone place.

Franz