Old 07-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Mike Lyle

Default O/T people sitting on garden wall. advice needed

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"joe parkin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Paint your wall top with that black sticky gunk they use to keep

pigeons

off

ledges.

Love it!

unfortunately you will be acting outside the law putting it on top of
a low wall.

Not if you put a sign up to advertise the fact that the wall is private
property, and that intruder paint is in use, and that it will damage any
clothing.

The local club had the same, it was told it was leaving them open to
claims unless the paint was at least 6 foot from the floor (IIRC)
If the OP paints anything that could cause a member of the public
damage or injury the can be in trouble

That sounds like a law which is just begging to be broken. I would say that
it was utterly unenforceable. What about the hundreds of thousands of
houses abutting a street with no front garden? Are they never to be allowed
to paint their front doors?

Surely it's a matter of everybody's legal duty of reasonable care to
avoid injury or nuisance to others. I, or the mythical little old
lady, stumble in walking past, fall against the gunked wall, and ruin
a perfectly good coat: I might have a job actually getting you to pay
for a new one, but I'd have a case. That case would be strengthened if
it were known that the gunk had been put there for the sole purpose of
making the wall untouchable. It isn't lawful -- or sensible -- to set
traps.

A delivery man might also have difficulty in getting the money out of
you if he got paint on his coat from your front door because you'd
forgotten to put out a "Wet paint" sign; but it would still be at
least as much your responsibility as his. It's not reasonable to
expect people to know that paint is wet. Reasonable care can also
apply to your choice of garden plants. But I'd still consider going
with the thorny shrubs, taking some care, though, to make sure they
didn't project onto the footpath.

Mike.