Old 07-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Mick Fournier

Default flasks

Keith,

Flasks are glass bottles containing orchid seedlings in a sterile nutrient
enriched gelatin/agar. Some flaskers use plastic containers instead of
glass, but in general all the plastic flasks are pure crap. And all the
flasks covered with cheap plastic tupperware poptops, flimsy plastic film,
or tin foil with a rubber band are super crap. Be sure to buy only flasks
with rubber stoppers (or heavy duty mason jars with screw on tops)... else
you will be sorry after the bacteria, fungus seeps in to spoil your plants.

I would venture to say that 98% of the orchids you will see in your life
started out in flasks.

For shipping internationally I think flasks are great way to buy orchids if
you are still a young man. Orchids out of flask can take 4 years to
bloom.... of course that is not such a big concern if you have bought rare
expensive species and time is on your side... and you have graduated up from
the junk you see in Home Depot, Kmart, etc.

This is a picture of a glass flask containing some orchids. Click on the
following hyperlink:
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...asks/flask.jpg

..... Snapple, Arizona Tea and Gatorade make the best stand-up flasks for my
money.

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

"keith" wrote in message
news
What are Flasks?
is it what orchid seedling are transported in?
Sorry if i sound stupid!