Old 07-09-2003, 06:13 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Horsetails.

The message
from "William Anderson" contains these words:

I have a lot of horsetail weeds in my veg plot and I have given up trying to
get rid of them as everything i do seems not to work.

A friend said that he had read an article in a magazine which said that
horsetail can be made into liquid plant food.

Could anyone tellme how to do this? Also is it ok to compost these weeds?

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Hello Bill, just cut them and sling them into a bin of water as they
appear. when the water really pongs, it's ready to use.

Use directly on vegetables which are likely to be used soon afterwards
is not recommended.

Marestails are used for extracting gold from soil which contains small
quantities of gold salts. The foliage is dried and burnt, and the ash
refined to extract very small but commercially viable quantities of
gold.

So, if you live in an area where gold has been found................

It's your round.

If not, make a solution of glyphosate and washing-up liquid, beat the
foliage to bruise it, then apply the glyphosate.

Repeat for several years. Marestail roots can go down seven feet or more.

--
Frère Jaques
They knocked the Bell down and erected a charade of pops.