Old 07-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Horsetails.

In article ,
Malcolm Ogilvie wrote:

I've said it before, and I've no doubt I will have to keep on saying it
(!), the correct name for the garden pest is 'horsetail' (Equisetum sp.)
as the poster used. "Marestail" (Hippuris vulgaris) is a completely
different and, as far as the gardener is concerned, benign plant. Its
use instead of 'horsetail' should, in my view, be discouraged!

As I have said before, and seem to need to repeat, this is nonsense.
The English language is defined by use, and not by self-appointed
arbiters. In any case, you are wrong:

OED: Marestail

The aquatic flowering plant Hippuris vulgaris, ...; formerly called
female horsetail. Also: any of several horsetails (genus Equisetum),
which Hippuris vulgaris superficially resembles.

If you want to be botanically precise, then use the proper botanical
name - which is the Latin. Most people on this group have no trouble
with that concept.

That reminds me - what's the Latin name for a bluebell? And where is
it that you claim to live? :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.