Old 07-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Franz Heymann

Default O/T people sitting on garden wall. advice needed

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g0x3et.1ghpzit1g9ip3jN%00senetnospamtodayta@ macunlimited.net...
Franz Heymann wrote:

"Brandon" wrote in message

"oo" wrote in message

snip
Basically youths won't stop sitting on my garden wall, despite my

repeated
requests and threats they continue to sit there. Basically they are

noisy
and wil eventually weaken the structure of the wall.

I was wondering if any of you have any practical solutions? (apart

from
barb
wire, glass on the wall or using a baseball bat on their knees etc

lol)
would appreciate sensible and legal solutions...

snip

I recently visited a Victorian School Museum and one of the things

they
did
was have brass studs embedded into the hand rail on staircases to

discourage
pupils from sliding down them, why not buy large brass studs, most DIY
stores have them or something similar and either superglue them or

drill
and
cement them into the brickwork of the wall.

This is probably your safest bet legally, anything that will harm or

damage
them or their property would make you liable, an innocent bystander

may
temporarily sit on your wall to tie their shoelace etc and be faced

with
their clothes being damaged or themselves being injured. There are

plenty
of cases of burglars successfully suing residents of houses that they

have
broken into because of measures that the residents have taken to stop

them
being burgled that has resulted in the burglar being injured.

There have been a large number of interesting suggestions, all of which,
with one exception, will unfortunately lead to trouble of one kind or
another.

The ones which come closer than ten miles of the law can be rejected
immediately, unless one is a gambler. The vast majority of the others

make
it clear to the louts that something is actively planned against them.

The
brats I know will almost certainly plan an act of revenge.

The only plan which will work is one in which the yobbos don' realise

that
they are being plotted against. Only one of the suggested plans, namely
that of "ameijers" fulfils this requirement: Feed birds regularly on

the
wall at times when the brats are somewhere else, in order to get the

wall
covered here and there in bird droppings. It will turn out that the

birds
are more persistent than the children.

Franz... what happens when the birds become a problem? It might work
short term but I think it has its pitfalls.

I am blissfully unawarte of any pitfalls. We have been feeding birds right
round the year on two windowsills, the front drive and a bird table. We
also grow strawberries specifically for the delectation of the birds. The
bird dung and bird song they leave as a token of gratitude we accept with
grace.

And darned bird crap on everything else around too... If they perch on
your property or worse roost then you have a problem.

We in fact have a small flock of chaffinches who perch in a tree in the
front garden whilst waiting for the tavern door to open, as well as a
substantial flock of sparrows who do roost here. In this day and age when
house sparrows are getting as close as dammit to being an endangered
species, we feel particularly honoured to be hosts to a flock of them.

Ever seen what
bird excrement does to the fabric of a house over a longer period.

My wife and I have been avid bird lovers for as long as we have owned houses
and have gone out of our way to atttract them. We have never noticed any
damage of any kind done by them.

Nasty...
And if you manage to attract pigeons you will get the authorities
around to tell you to stop feeding birds in many places!

Not here, I am glad to say.

Franz