Old 07-09-2003, 10:03 PM
Ray

Default Orchids in Alaska??

I have several customers in Alaska, and as far as I know, all grow indoors
under lights.

Shipping is no problem once you add heat packs - same as I do for pretty
much all of the continental US all winter.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Tracey" wrote in message
Here's a question for any of you who might know. My
husband recently spent a few days in Alaska and men-
tioned that he didn't see any orchids anywhere. We've
been discussing the reasons for different things he
noticed (a more 'weathered' appearance of buildings
and roads, lots more rusted out vehicles, not many
buildings over 3 or 4 floors, etc.,) and I got to
thinking about the special problems someone would have
with trying to grow orchids in Alaska. A few would
be:

1. How to get them up there? At least, any quantity
of them. One or two you could carry on the plane with
you, but as far as shipping a large batch of them,
it would be logistically a nightmare, wouldn't it?

2. How to maintain them once they're there. Keeping
a outdoor greenhouse going (at least of the wood
frame/plastic type) that would do the job would also
be a nightmare, right? And the long winters would
require lots of augmentation of light and heat.

I said a few, but I can only think of a couple right
now. Anyone know anyone who raises orchids in Alaska?

Tracey