Old 07-09-2003, 11:32 PM
paghat

Default Help identify Washington native shrubs?

In article ,
(Wendy B G) wrote:

Please help identify two native shrubs in Sequim, WA.

The leaves are 1" long, oval, smooth,
alternate. Currently, it has bright red, rather translucent berries (not
opaque-surfaced, like a cotoneaster). The berries have a little circle on the
bottom, like a blueberry. I saw this shrub growing in a clear cut field, along
the trail to Shi Shi Beach.

A deciduous vaccininium of some kind perhaps, possibly a huckleberry.

-paghat the ratgirl

Thank you,
Wendy (Sequim, WA, Zone 8)

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"