Old 08-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Dave Gower

Default Lawn; Thinking of starting from scratch

"Seymour" wrote in message
om...
I live in southern New Jersey. My lawn is just awful, bare spots,
crabgrass, uneven ground, hard ground,

I radar in on the "hard ground". Sounds like the whole thing is a torture
chamber for plants.

I agree with rototilling. As deep as possible. Rake out any stones and
roots. Add a lot of peat-moss. It's a great slow-release fertilizer and
moisture retainer. Chemical fertilizers may burn the young plants.

Wouldn't hurt to hit the weeds with Roundup before you rototill. Wait a few
hours after you spray before tilling.

Use good quality seed suited to your situation (sunny/shady, wet/dry etc).
Use lots of it. Roll lightly to get it level (optional but useful). Cover
with straw or other biodegradable mulch. Water regularly.

This IS the best time. Start yesterday, day before that if possible.

Next spring, sharpen your lawnmower blade really well (dull blades can
damage tender grass). DON'T use weed or crabgrass killer next spring. It may
not kill the new grass, but it will sure slow it down.

Good luck.