Old 08-09-2003, 03:05 AM
Janet Tweedy

Default tree recommendations wanted

In article
1g0x853.1js4tkh1vbmfh5N%00senetnospamtodayta@macu nlimited.net, Jim W
writes

Not very 'normal' though and prickly from what I remember.

Dunno but if you really want I could go up the Road in a week or 2 and
take piccies.. Its very very attractive.. Feathery foiliage, bronzed
tips in spring,.. yellow flowers..

Yes I know what it's like, I took one out of the garden when I moved
here 30 years ago. I prefer to stick with fairly normal trees for
Britain just because it gives the insects and birds something to feed on
generally, but thanks for the offer Jim.

A small dogwood (Cornus)

Too small Jim Would have liked something about 20 foot tall I think
(eventually)

LOL OK.. How small is small!-)

Well to me Cornus is small because if you want the red stems you must
prune at least a third of them out every year and even the larger
cornuses (ii?) aren't going to shade our living room very much I've
got about four dogwoods but are you thinking of a specific one?

As its south facing you could push one of the more exotic fruits.. How
about a slow growing Poncirus or something!-)

Got two of them in pots, very very slow growing and both still under 2
foot

They are aren't they..

And they never flower!

--