Old 08-09-2003, 08:04 AM
Cris

Default Beneficial Snails??

I'm convinced that my MTSs are eating holes in my plants. I've had
the snails for at least a year now and I didn't have a problem until
recently. My guess is that the population has gotten so big that
there isn't enough food for them and they eat the plants. They've
turned many, many leaves into lace. I've started picking lots of
snails out - about 50/day - and the plants don't seem to be eaten as
much. Anybody else had the same experience?

Cris

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 07:24:07 +0100, Mike Edwardes
wrote:

In article ,
"rapdor" wrote:

I've read quite a lot of bad press about snails in freshwater tropical
aquariums. Does anyone have anything good to say about them, and
recommendations?

Yes. Malaysian trumpet snails - wouldn't be without them:
http://mike-edwardes.members.beeb.net/plant/lotech.html

I also like ramshorns in coldwater tanks (MTS do well in coldwater tanks
too!).

Mike.