Old 08-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Tom Jaszewski

Default Help with Compost Tea

On 8 Sep 2003 00:51:12 -0700, (Fleemo) wrote:

I'm making some compost tea and want to be sure I'm doing this right.
I've taken a 5 gallon bucket and added two shovelfuls of compost.
I've taken an old aquarium pump and run an air line to the bottom of
the bucket to aerate the tea. Then filled the bucket with water.

Use about a cup or two of good quality vermicompost. Add a tablespoon
of organic molasses, some kelp extract, and rock phosphate.
If your compost is thermophilic, has gone to 135-150 degrees in
several cycles it may be good as ACT(Aerated Compost Tea). If it's the
typical homeowner stuff find a new source.
Email and I'll give you a source in your area.

remove lasvegas

QUESTIONS:

o How long does this tea have to steep? I've read everything from
overnight to two weeks.

Lab tests, direct counts of bacteria and fungi, conclusively show that
ACT Aerated Compost Tea is of the highest quality when "brewed for
18-24 hours

o My tap water is chlorinated. Will the chlorine kill off beneficial
bacteria in the compost? If so, will adding chlorine remover used for
acquariums help?

Yes chlorine will kill beneficial microbes. If your water treatment
facility uses chloramines it is very persistent. Sodium thiosulphate
(aquarium dechlorinator) is a poor dechlorinator and will likely kill
microbes with its residuals. Put some 5-gallon buckets of water out
in the sun for a day or two, use a carbon filter, or bubble the water
for 24 hours with your pump and stones,

o Is it really necessary to have the air line plugged into a gang
valve for multiple bubble streams, or will one good stream of air
bubbles do the trick?

Using a single stone will NOT provide enough air to keep the ACT
aerated and it will likely go anaerobic.... NOT WHAT YOU WANT!
Use two circular sections of 1/4 porous tubing. One circle at the
right angle formed by the side and bottom of the bucket, an additional
circle about the center of the bottom of the bucket.

Thanks for the help.