Old 08-09-2003, 12:35 PM
Tom Jaszewski

Default Lawn; Thinking of starting from scratch

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 10:55:27 GMT, "Peter H"
wrote:

And you call this good advise?
You no talent putz! there are lots of us who can manage lawns without
ANY herbicides!

http://www.cedar-grove.com/solutions...rf/default.htm
http://www.growingsolutions.com/

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...f+manag ement

- if your lawn is healthy you should be able to keep it virtually weed-free
w/ only 2 properly applied applications of weed killer per year
- although the weed killers used on lawns are " selective herbicides" they
will kill other vegetation, including trees, if applied in too high a
dosage. You won't actually know what your application rate is.
- the dilution rate would probably be too high. Most of the active
ingredient in weed killers is absorbed through the leaf of the plant itself.
Your method will wash it off before it has a chance to be absorbed, even if
you happen to get the application rate right.
- The overspray from your sprinkler will wash onto your drive and street
sending pesticide directly to the sewer.

I would suggest that the simplest way to apply weed control for the average
homeowner would be with a hand-held sprayer or a watering can. I recommend
blanket spraying the lawn twice/ year. If you have persistent weeds you may
have to increase applications for the 1st year. After that twice/ year
should do it. If you still have persistent weeds suspect an insect
infestation that is thinning the grass to the point that the weed seeds are
being allowed to germinate.

Peter H