Old 08-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Franz Heymann

Default tree recommendations wanted

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g0xsz5.1vdh6vxfhrneoN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Franz Heymann wrote:

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g0rtsd.1jpv6fyefxn5sN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...

[snip]

How about a small Acacia from Eucalyptus.co.uk

I am not aware of any acacia which is really hardy.

Franz

Well I am in London. The tree in Q is an Acacia (not mock or false) but
is in a NW facing garden at the op of a hill. So frost and drainage not
a 'major' problem. Eg water and frost drainage are sharp. We do get
frost but it is mild by comparison to outer lying areas..

Point is this tree has been growing quite happily last 4 -5 years.. So
it must have SOME hardiness. Hence I recommended contacting Celyn Vale
who would advise.

False Acacia is a Robinia. That is not what I was thinking about. The RHS
encyclopedia lists 10 different true Acacias. It says that in general their
minimum safe temperatures vary between 5 and 7 deg C.
So, either the encyclopedia is wrong, or the tree you are referring to iis
very lucky.

Franz