Old 08-09-2003, 03:22 PM
shazzbat

Default horsetail/marestail/whocarestail

Good grief, how bad can it get, the bickering over plant names?

Until the 3rd July 2001, the day we got the allotment I hadn't seen this
plant (wish I still hadn't). I asked one of the other allotment holders what
it was and he replied "marestail", so I think of it as marestail, but I'm
not going to let it become a problem if someone else calls it horsetail. we
all know what is meant by the fact that someone is usually asking how to
deal with it.

Incidentally I then asked said allotmenteer how to get rid of it, and I
don't think he's stopped laughing yet. But anyway

A thing that does amuse me is the use of plurals where the plant is normally
referred to by its latin name. For instance the gladiolus is pluralised to
gladioli, and the narcissus to narcissi which I understand is the correct
thing to do although I am not a scholar of latin. But by this principle the
crocus should be pluralised to crocii.

And surely other relevant plurals should be nasturtia, gerania and
chrysanthema.

And is any of this being discussed in other fora?

Steve