Old 08-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Jerry Minasi

Default Stake or no stake tomato

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:26:30 GMT, Jerry Minasi
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:21:12 -0400, Pat Meadows
wrote:

On 8 Sep 2003 08:11:50 -0700, (James)
wrote:

I grew a few tomatoes without stake or cage this year. Seems like
it's a better method. You get a lot more tomatoes because the stems
root themselves on the ground and multi-stems also increases the
number of fruits.

So is the one stem on a stake method just a waste of time?

No.

It's appropriate when you want to save space, or if you have
trouble with tomatoes rotting on the ground, or being eaten
by slugs, or contracting various diseases because they've
been lying on the ground.

I haven't used this method myself, I've always used cages.

But we will - hopefully - be building a hoophouse soon and
I'll definitely stake and prune the tomatoes that I grow in
the hoophouse, for space-conserving reasons.

Pat

Please...what's a "Hoophouse"?
Thank You.
Jerry Shirley, Long island, NY

Please ignore above request...I found the information on Goggle.
Thank You
Jerry