Old 08-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Default To water change, or not?

Harry wrote:
It seems like a planted aquarium should not require very many water
changes, and almost no vacuuming (as fish waste is something that
plants like!). Am I mistaken, here? What is the reasoning, with a
planted aquarium, to change the water? Or is my understanding of the
chemical/bilogical processes involved mistaken?

This question pops up every so often in this group. There are plenty of
opinions and arguments on both sides of the water changing issue. I don't
change nearly as much water as some folks do. Perhaps 10% once a month in
the big tank. The small tank gets more changes because its plants are not
as well established yet.

As always, YMMV. Just try it and see if it works for you.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv