Old 08-09-2003, 06:12 PM
dave weil

Default OT Squirrels Flipping Out

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:38:57 -0400 (EDT), "Shiva"
wrote:

dave weil wrote:

I can't remember seeing a squirrel in my neighborhood since I've moved
here.

Weird.

From my experience with voles and Rozol, if any of your neighbors put out
any sort of rodent poison (rats can be a real problem in city
neighborhoods) the squirrels appear to think this is some sort of
delicacy and they will move mountains to get to it. (So, this is why you
may not have any squirrels.) I placed the pellets inside the vole holes,
then put heavy stones/buckets etc on top,but the squirrels worked hard and got to them. The second
time I found a big fat cute squirrel dead I had to give up the Rozol.

I think it might be a function of the masses of stray dogs that use to
roam the neighborhood (they've mostly been rounded up, but the
squirrels haven't repopulated). It could be all of the cats as well.

We don't have many rats (never seen one around here, but that doesn't
mean that they're not here) but we have plenty of field mice and other
small rodents. Fortunately, my cat, which is mostly an outdoor cat
that I adopted, has taken care of most of them on my property.