Old 09-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Horsetails.

In article ,
Malcolm Ogilvie wrote:

[*] It is arrogant and offensive because it is based on the premise
that the Great Unwashed British Public are too stupid to learn to
use Latin names

I wonder how many urglers use scientific names, putting those who don't
into your decidedly "offensive" category of "the Great Unwashed British
Public" who are "too stupid" to learn to use them. How charming :-(

Thank you for misquoting me.

If you were a serious gardener, or even a regular denizen of this
:group, you would know that most people use whatever language they
feel appropriate for the context. That applies to posters, books,
magazines and so on. When the vernacular conveys the right meaning,
we use it. When we need to distinguish between species, we start
to use Latin. Some posters use almost all English names; some use
a mixture. Nobody except you gives a damn when a poster refers to
lichen as moss, when it is clear what is meant.

Stop trying to be so dictatorial. And try posting a few items on
gardening.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.