Old 09-09-2003, 12:22 AM
paghat

Default Quality of Top Soil That is Sold in Bulk

In article , Salty Thumb
wrote:

(Jay Chan) wrote in news:c7e5acb2.0309081049.4e2253a3
@posting.google.com:

I have a couple questions on top soil that is sold in bulk.

I bought a truck-load of top soil in bulk, and I spreaded it over my
lawn. When I saw it on the truck, it looked dark because it was wet.
Therefore, I thought it looked acceptable to me. But now when I
compare it to store-bought top soil from home center, they are quite
different:

Sounds more like "fill dirt" than "top soil". The two may or may not mean
the same thing depending on what industry the person you're talking to
works in.

Did sound like filldirt, but unless from some contaminated source, it can
be rendered as good as any quality topsoil by mixing into it a shitload of
manure. A shitload of rabbit raisens might not even need to be composted
first.

If the field sample is loamy topsoil & the delivered stuff is powdery
dirt, the real problem is selling for a quality price something that has
little or no organic component. It's a rip-off by thieves even though it
can easily be fixed with compost & labor. If it's worth the time & effort
for a bit of justice, I'd go get a sample of the vendor's "quality top
soil" as displayed for sale, & take that along with a bucket of the
powdery dirt actually delivered & get an expert opinon on both from a
horticultural extension. If what was purchased vs what was delivered are
notably different, then armed with expert opinion, demand of the vendor a
FREE load of good compost sufficient to turn that ordinary cheap filldirt
into the top soil actually paid for. If they refuse, then it's off to
small claims court for a FULL refund with which to purchase the required
compost from someone else.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: