Old 09-09-2003, 12:28 AM

Default O/T people sitting on garden wall. advice needed

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:56:39 +0100, someone wrote:

...and if a little, old, frail granny walks along the street on her own with
her pension don't be surprised if she gets mugged. The fact that something
wrong is easy to do does not actually justify it.

And so granny should keep walking down the street with her money
hanging out of her purse, because nobody should steal from her.

And so I should leave my car on a city street with the windows rolled
down and the key in the ignition, because it is wrong to steal cars
and nobody should do it.

And so women should go to parties alone and get pasing out drunk and
be perfectly safe because nobody should sexually assault anyone and
date rape is wrong.

Etc. etc.

In your perfectly pedantic world, maybe.

I'm not "justifying" it, but in the real world you'd be an idiot to
act as if the reality doesn't exist, and take resultant defensive
measures.

-v.